A Tribute to Art Geringer
Electronic Security and Door Hardware legend, Arthur V. Geringer passed on September 5th, 2016 at age 93. Art was a door hardware innovator and pioneered the design and practical application of electricity to door openings for security and fire and life safety. As the inventor of numerous electronic lock designs, Art is credited with ushering in the modern era of access control hardware with his development of the 90° throw electric lock. Now commonly used, this creation opened the potential of electric locking capabilities and began the great migration to electric locking systems.
Art received his certification as an Architectural Hardware Consultant in 1952; was the recipient of the Door and Hardware Institute’s highest honor, the Founders’ Award; and the second highest honor, the Distinguished Consultant award (D.A.H.C). He was actively involved in the door hardware business for over 60 years. He continued to participate in and contribute to the profession until his passing, designing and developing new and innovative access and egress control products for Security Door Controls, the company he founded in 1972.
Art’s beloved wife, Mae, battled Alzheimer disease for many years. The family requests that, in lieu of flowers, you please consider a gift in Art’s name to the Alzheimer’s Association on behalf of Mae at www.ALZ.org .
For more about Art’s life, visit http://sdcsecurity.com/art-geringer.htm.
- SDC is a Quality Management Certified manufacturer of premium grade access control hardware specified by security consultants for prominent facilities worldwide. SDC has been providing intelligent solutions for Security, Safety & Accessibility to the Industry for over 40 years.
- In The News2018.05.14Case Study: Dance Studio Traffic Control and School Safety
- In The News2018.04.25Job Opportunities at SDC: Technical Support Associate
- In The News2018.04.02SDC’s Arthur Geringer Inducted into the SSI Industry Hall of Fame
- In The News2018.03.15Low-Energy Automatic Door Openers for Healthcare Facilities